A Guide to Posting Food on Instagram

2/23/2016



The #instafood craze has taken social media by storm, mainly because so many are looking into this as photography skills. Don't get me wrong, it is considered photography. But it might not be so much as an advanced skill since most 'Instagrammers' take these photos with their phones and edit them photo editing apps such as VSCOcam and AfterLight for a professional effect. And it isn't like people care that you basically cheated your way through having photography skills with the work of an iPhone or an Android. Seriously, it's the 21st century and technology has developed so much.

Instagram is probably my favourite app on my phone because I take great interests in iPhone photography and I follow a lot of people who enjoy the same thing whether it's fashion, food, travel, or lifestyle - much like a blogFood is probably my favourite especially since I'm always on the look out for food inspirations (even if Pinterest is like, my main source for recipes) and it's an even bigger bonus if the pictures are high quality and include a short recipe as the caption. Yes. 

When I'm at a restaurant, I like to take pictures of my food before I begin eating and before that I have to make sure that the lighting is good or I usually ask to sit next to the windows or outside. I also take pictures of everyone else's food as part of the 'onthetable' hashtag that so many people have used. And to think of it, it's kind of weird. Taking photos of food before eating or while you're eating and creating the effect of professionalism has become a thing now and taking a look back then when all we had was Facebook, it would have probably just been photos of your usual Sunday family dinner table with a side of camera flash and date/time note at the bottom right side of the photo.

On Instagram, I feel like some people think that in order to post good photos of food, they would need the food to look pretty, healthy or something from a fine dining restaurant but that isn't always the case. Food photography really depends on your techniques and how you're able to take a good shot of what's in front of you. Here are my tips to the ultimate Instagram food photography and please understand that this is to each their own; these are just my personal inputs and it is entitled to be different to many people.

1. Make sure the lighting is good.
Probably the most important out of all in this list. Lighting is so important in photography as you can see from countless professional photos. It sets the mood and tone of the photo and you would want your food to be clear and visible.

2. The table and everything around it should be clean.

You wouldn't want the table to look messy. This point may apply to those photos of food taken by a wall as the background as well; you wouldn't your ice cream to be taken beside a dump of trash or sewerage (unless that's what you're going for). A neat background will keep the focus on your food and it wouldn't shift the viewer's attention to something else... Like a spill of pasta sauce or something.




3. Post only memorable ones.
I prefer to post food photos that had an 'effect' on me or that it was taken at a memorable day out/place. I'm not one to fill my feed up with food and when I do post one, it's most likely that I enjoyed it and wanted to share it with everyone else.

4. Don't overedit the photo.
Keep it minimal. I follow many food accounts whether it's cookbook authors, vegetarian enthusiasts, or aspiring chefs, and most of their photos are clear and just really nice to look at (or drool over). I make sure, when editing, to keep the true colours of the photo; you wouldn't want your green tea bars to appear pink or blue with Instagram's many filters. Maybe define the photo by playing around with the contrast, shadow, and/or sharpness to make it appear a bit "professional" or at least like you know how to take and edit good pictures,

5. Don't be afraid to stand on chairs.
Standing on your chair is a good technique of getting everything on your table in one photo if you're petite and it's also a lot easier to do. There are many times where I feel embarrassed or stupid to stand on the chair to get a higher shot of what's on the table in a public restaurant. People would often stare or look at me weirdly and I easily get self-conscious as I fear that they might judge me. But I've done it a lot lately to a point where I don't let that bother me anymore and it's like, whatever.

6. Tag the people who had their food in your photo.

Mainly because they deserve some attention too. Especially if they're you're friends or your mum (if she has Instagram, of course).


Follow me on Instagram: @ayishaa

Post Comment
Post a Comment